Trying to lose weight, but love to snack throughout the day? There’s no shame in that– in fact, it’s probably the smarter choice. Too many people go on “diets” by putting off eating until they absolutely have to. Then, of course, they feel ravenously hungry and end up bingeing, or settling for the first food they find even if it’s unhealthy. See the problem?
The best way to avoid gorging on mini meals every few hours is to figure out what healthy snack options there are. Once you’ve done that, you’re on your way to staying full and energized without overeating or ruining your diet. Don’t forget to carry your emergency snack on you at all times!
1. A cup of Greek yogurt sprinkled with chia seeds. Add two teaspoons of chia seeds to your yogurt and you’ve met your daily recommended amount of alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that can help fight inflammation and prevent chronic disease. Plus, chia seeds are full of protein and fiber, so they’ll help you stay full. Warning: don’t pour out the liquid on top of your Greek yogurt; make sure to mix it in! The liquid is vitamin-rich and supplies amino acids, calcium, and whey protein to your diet.
2. Fruit and cottage cheese. This snack is a double whammy. Fruit is a go-to healthy choice packed with vitamins, and cottage cheese holds its own by supplying lots of calcium and amino acids that support muscle growth. The cheese is also super filling.
3. Nuts in general. A quick and healthy handful of nuts is sometimes all you need to satisfy a craving. I recommend any of the four healthiest nut varieties: almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and cashews. Pistachios in particular have one of the lowest calorie counts of any nut. Even if you eat fifty of them, you’re still well under 200 calories total. (Any of these nuts would also make a great topping for that Greek yogurt.)
4. A chocolate square. Who says you have to cut out chocolate just because you’re snacking smart? The key is to not just grab a candy bar from the vending machine. Instead, get an antioxidant-rich chocolate square with 70% cocoa content. You could also find bars with 80% cocoa content, although the taste isn’t as sweet.
5. A smoothie. To easily snack on fruit on the go, toss them in a blender and add in some leafy greens if you’re feeling adventurous. Never mind adding in milk or sugar. Those are the only ingredients you need for a tasty drink.